Monday, May 07, 2007

Sockapalooza 4: Getting the Lead Out

I first realized that the Sockapalooza-4 database must be up and running when a friendly knitter showed up at my Etsy store to buy a skein of yarn for her sock pal. And what a sweetheart she was. She chose such a lovely skein. Lucky sock pal.

Even so, I was buried up to my eyeballs in yarn dyeing, mailing, and the regular sludge of life, and it was days before I checked the database for information on my pal. Turns out my pal has feet almost the same size as mine (that will help), and has left all the details totally up to me.

Here's the yarn I've chosen for my pal:



Yesterday I dyed up two skeins of the super-yummy Blue Face Leicester 2-ply Sport in this colorway called Twilight. One for my sock pal, and one for my shop. I like this choice for my sock pal because it is colorful without being loud, and the yarn should show off the stitches of the sock nicely too. The bonus for me is that I get to knit the super-yummy BFL sock yarn. Why should everyone else have all the fun??



Now I need your help. Yes, that's right: Your Help. I have knitted quite a few socks now, using everything from chunky to super fine sock yarn. I have always knitted them totally plain, and I like it that way. But I want something different for my sock pal. No lace. I don't want anything frilly and froofy. I like to knit socks from the cuff down, with heel flaps, and regular toe shaping. I'm looking for pattern ideas for nice stitchwork that will be fun for me to knit -- and to show off the yarn I've chosen. I would love to hear your feedback and suggestions on this.

This morning I went out to the chiropractor. He hurt me, but he made me feel better too. Divine pain. When I got home, it was like Christmas. Packages on my doorstep. Packages in my mail box. Look at 'em all!!



I had a blast opening them all up. Several fun things I ordered from Etsy shops, and a box of undyed lace-weight yarn I scored by trading some of my hand-dyed. And a box of Misti Alpaca laceweight, also for dyeing. My favorite of the Etsy items is the black leather bound journal. The book was made entirely by hand by a gifted artist in Nova Scotia. She tears her own creamy smooth paper, hand stitches it into a strong binding, and finishes it all off with a beautiful leather cover. You can view her journals and other hand-bound books at her etsy shop Here. I love journals, and I do write my little heart out in them. When this one gets close to full, I'm going back for another one.

11 comments:

CatBookMom said...

Try Jaywalkers (free at MagKnits, link to it at Grumperina's blog). Or look at Suzann's blog (LostPurl) here: she's posted several nice patterns, nearly no yarnovers. http://lostpurl.blogspot.com/2007/04/basic-sock-patterns.html

benne said...

Great sock yarn. I second Barbara's suggestion to take a look at Suzann's socks. The pair she sent me are the most comfortable socks I've ever had on my feet. Not to mention they are gorgeous. The girl spoiled me. ;-}

The journal is wonderful. I'm gong to take a look.

Joan said...

Jayne, you'd enjoy the Sensational Socks books. Gives you loads of basic & complicated patterns with alternate stitch combos for each pattern, plus adaptions for different wts of yarn. I have book #1 and #2 is on my wish list.

CatBookMom said...

BTW, you've created another colorway that I'm drooling over! You know just how to tempt me, and I'm discovering that I'm not really just a blues/greens/purples girl. After all, I love the Apricot I received, and the Coral Glow and..... and....

Life's a Stitch said...

I love that "it hurts so good" feeeling I get from the chiro and the massage therapist.

How about the Mermaid Socks, the version on page 59 of Lucy Neatby's Cool Socks Warm Feet. They would look great in your yarn.
Li

amanda j said...

Wow! That is a lovely journal. I don't keep one often, I write down stuff at work because I have to keep a record to keep myself out of trouble, and I keep my blog, but that's it.

Your sock pal is very lucky, that is gorgeous yarn.

s b said...

Undulating Rib Socks from "Favorite Socks" (Interweave Press) is really nice pattern by Ann Budd. That book has many wonderful non-lace sock patterns (there are some great lace ones in there too...)

Madge said...

Have fun with Sockapalooza 4! As a sock ingenue I have no suggestions, sorry, but look forward to seeing your Twilight knit up. :)

Stacey said...

I have a pretty plain pattern - stocking stitch heel and sole - rib upper which turned out really well. Its an 8 ply pattern but I knitted it in a 12 so its really firm.
I just finished a pair for my husband and he loves them. I can email you a photo if you like.
Stacey

Laura said...

Love that yarn...Monkey is a fun pattern to knit. Technically it IS lace, but it's not frilly or foofy at all.

Courtney said...

I agree that Jaywalkers would be a great option, as well as Roza's socks...in the most recent IK knits magazine.