Thursday, January 11, 2007

Put Your Feet Up



I finished my Fleece Artist Merino socks. They fit perfectly; they're very comfortable, and they look good with jeans.



I used one skein of Fleece Artist Merino sock yarn and had some leftovers. I knit the socks on 2 1/2mm needles and got a gauge of 32 st = 4."

Here they are, shivering in the snow.



Now...to respond to a few comments from yesterday.

Vamanta: I didn't change the basic look of my blog, but I added some things in the side bar. That felt like a massive change to me because any time I get mucking about in source code...Anyway, I added my free patterns in the side bar so that they're easier to find, and I now have sidebar access to finished projects from 2006 and 2007.

As for the snow, and people are always divided on this issue: Yes, it is pretty. Yes it is especially pretty on our landscape. It is particularly pretty today as it is also brilliantly sunny. I like to watch it fall, and I like the unique silence that descends along with it, the sound-proofing effect it creates. I love walking in it when it crunches underfoot. I do not like the way it makes our roads icy and slushy and slippery. Our roads are not flat -- they are hilly at best and mountainous at worst. Not good for driving in snow. Our city does not have enough support services to deal with snow. People either have summer tires or all seasons on their cars. Few have snow tires. Even if I am confident driving in snow (which I usually am), other people can make it a complete nightmare. I do not like the way our schools shut down; our buses grind to a halt; our roads narrow in until there is one lane. I do not like the way it breaks our trees, and we have had a lot of that this season with wind and heavy snow already. I do not like the way it closes down my favorite walking trail. I like it once or maybe twice a year. I am done with it now, and would like it to leave and go back to Ontario where it belongs.

Hi, Island Knitter! Thanks for your comment. Yes, I did get my Little Knits package. It did not get hung up at customs this time, so I got it in about two weeks I think. The DB Alpaca Silk is super soft and lovely. I got two bags at that price, in a lovely light lilac colour. Not sure what I'm making with it yet. I have several ideas, including cuddly wraps and assorted sweaters.

If anyone has not been to Little Knits yet, they have wonderful sales. I've added the link to Knitty Hangouts in the side bar, or click Little Knits.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jayne, that Fleece Artist really makes NICE socks! I have to have some! Just how high are they?

jayne said...

Hi Trish, I knit 8" of leg before working the heel. I could have made them and inch or two longer (I had enough yarn, but I like 8" (unless I want knee socks).

CatBookMom said...

The socks are GORGEOUS!!! Let's see, where on my list of UFOs to finish shall I put the 3 pairs of socks, including the Knitting Olympics Jaywalkers with both socks ready to turn the heeel?

Glad you are careful driving in snow, since so many other drivers are not. Been there, been run into 3 times. Left Denver.

Having a Knit Fitt said...

Isn't the Fleece Artist a pleasure to knit? Yours look great.

Niki, with one "k" said...

Hi Jayne! Found your blog while searching for patterns for felting. I'm just across the water from you on the Island...this snow can go away any day.

jayne said...

Hi niki with one "k" -- thanks for stopping by. You guys on the Island have had it so rough this season. I hope things settle down over there (and over here).

tammy said...

Really lovely socks! :)

SooZ said...

Your socks are inspiring! A great color.

My job requires alot of road travel, so this week hasn't been fun. Very glad its one more family to visit and then I can celebrate the weekend. Will put into that hopefully a few rows of knittin!

smariek said...

Those socks look great. They must be comfy...

Makes me want to start socks...

Anonymous said...

Hi Jayne
I have a question for you that I didn't think was appropriate for the Elann site(because I'm not using their wool). When you made the felted slippers with Patons SWS wool, did you use it double or single strand? I was just going to start some and I thought it was a little small for single but then the colours would be off. And...was it the Fiber Trends pattern?
Thanks.....Evelyn
ps. We haven't seen even one snowflake here in southern Ontario since last winter. You took all of ours.

jayne said...

Hi Evelyn,

I used the SWS single stranded, and found that it felted up smaller and thicker than I thought. What this means is that I really had to knit my slipper huge to get it to come out the right size, but it was so nice and thick that it was like double stranded.

I made a pattern from Knit One Felt Too. Lisa (midwifeknits) made the Fiber Trends Clogs pattern with one strand of SWS. I think she blogged about it. You can check my archives for the details on my slippers. I think it's in November. There were several entries.

Joan said...

I love, love, love Fleece Artist yarns. Your socks are awesome plus your first try with smaller needles?? If so, a great success. They look perfect.

Love your FO 2007 on the sidebar. I must try that some time. (Need actually finish a project tho'.) As you well know, nothing is easy with the ol' Blogger template. Congrats on being able to finesse your way thru it all to get exactly the look you wanted!

Anonymous said...

Oh love your blog and esp loved the little bag pattern you posted!! I am a fairly new knitter and have found felted bags are great!!!! and your work is lovely!! am a mixed emdia artist and love knitting now too and would love to add your blog to mine if that is ok!!! can see it here
http://alteredvisions.typepad.com/altered_visions/
thanks and will be back!!! have 2 pairs of socks I need to finish and then hope to move on to more "fancy" socks!!!! just need 48 hours in a day and not to work fulltime too!!! thanks for a fun blog!!
Hugs Linda

jayne said...

Hi Linda, thanks for stopping by and for your kind comments. Link away, and happy knitting!

LisaW. said...

Really nice socks Jayne. I'm too lazy to make them that high...without being knee highs. But Fleece Artist is sooo soft! Hope you're having a nice weekend.

Laurie said...

Your socks are gorgeous! I love those colors!

Anonymous said...

May I just say thank you and greetings from a cold and often snow bound Seattle!

Cheers,

Sue
Little Knits