Friday, February 09, 2007

I've Got Sunshine

On a cloudy day...

It has been rainy and very grey around here this week. Just the right time to knit something in warm and lively colours.



This scarf was a joy to knit. I used exactly four balls of Queensland Collection Big Wave in the colourway Firebird (90% wool/10% cashmere). I bought the yarn at elann.com. Easy-Peasy: I cut all my fringe pieces first and then knitted up the rest. This was comfort knitting at its best. This yarn is as soft as Blue Sky Alpaca Bulky. I'm not making this up. It has a different texture, kind of a nubbly thick and thin, like crimped dreadlocks. You can see the texture of the yarn well if you click to enlarge the photo and then look at the fringe. The fringe is particularly pettable. My daughter wanted to take the scarf to bed with her last night.

For Fringe: I cut 18" lengths. I used two together at eight points along each edge (and used the tails in fringe too). So I cut thirty-two 18" fringe pieces.

For the Rest: Cast on 22 stitches on 7mm needles and K2P2 rib. I spit-spliced new balls into place, so no ends. Scarf is 4" wide, unstretched. You can block it to 6" wide, stretched, but I prefer it thinner. 60" long without fringe; 76" long with.

Daisy said, "Please, oh please can I write the blog today? I promise not to pee on the keyboard."



"Okay, now how do you spell carrots? I know the C is around here somewhere..."



Then she got bored and went off to chew on the wicker basket that holds the napkins.

I finished a sleeve for my Ribby Cardi. Now I have the back and one sleeve done. I like the way the two greens look together.



12 comments:

junior_goddess said...

I'm diggin' Miss Daisy

Suzann said...

mmmmmmmmm it looks like a tropical fruit salad. Very pretty.
I will not comment on rodents loose on computer keyboards. :-)

Grace said...

i love the scarf, ministronesoup blog (http://minisoup.blogspot.com/
had her cat blog yesterday. I want to play with big wave, have the perfect sweater for it but would break the bank buying all of the yarn

jayne said...

Grace, that's why I went surfing with a scarf instead of a sweater. But it is fun stuff for sure. And considering the quality, worth the price. But since we still have to pay for electricity, I'll just have to fantasize about the blanket I wish I could knit with it.

Grace said...

i used the last of my credit and ordered 4 skeins of Big Wave!!!!

smariek said...

Lovely scarf. I like how the fringe looks due to the nature of the yarn. Don't know what you call it, I mean that "spiral" effect of the yarn.

BTW, Tag you're IT!!!

http://smariek.blogspot.com for more info... :-)

Anonymous said...

Darn your taste in yarn and patterns is so close to mine.... I have got to stop reading your blog and your comments at elann... I keep purchasing more yarn and patterns! Its getting hard to hide all the white boxes, and bags of yarn. And my DH and son (who knits a bit himself), keep seeing me start new projects. So far I have resisted Little Knits, but its only a matter of time, sigh. Maybe I should just sell it all on ebay, and join my other son in India, and practice yoga, where sweaters aren't a necessity!

jayne said...

LOL, Tracy, but sweater- knitting is its own form of yoga, isn't it?

I like the regular kind too..but after I cool off, I need a sweater. ;)

Anonymous said...

Love your Crimped Dreadlock Scarf! I must have missed that yarn!

Kim said...

The scarf is beautiful. Like Suzann, I won't comment on the rodents in the house.

LisaW. said...

so much to say! 1) looove the way your ribby is looking-i have enough of the avocado Kashmir for a nice cably sweater or jacket. i'm just petting it for now...but plan to go all the way soon.....2) ok.ok...miss daisy is adorable..for vermin....and finally 3) I ORDERED A BAG OF NORO SILVER THAW FROM LITTLE KNITS thanks to you. And Susan/Susie from the store emailed me back to give me CHEAPER postage to Alaska..how cool is that. Thanks (i think) for turning me on to that charming and potentially financially damaging yarn store! By the way, did you ever receive an email from me a week or so ago...I'm not sure i used a current address.

LisaW. said...

Crap...i forgot to tell you how much I admire that bright cheerful scarf too! are you sure you don't have any knitting elves around? wouldja like to share them?