Wednesday, February 14, 2007

I Want One!



The Glampyre Bulky Cabled Sweater is done. I knew it wasn't for me because of the colour. But as I knit it up, it became very clear that it was going to turn out nowhere near my size. My daughter Hayley started eyeing it. Yesterday, it was done except for the sleeves. She saw the buttons that I had on hand and got very excited. "Can I have this?" She asked, "Can I have it with THESE buttons??" So she chose the buttons and the order for them to go on, and I measured her up for sleeves.



It fits her very well, and there is room for growth, both in the stretch factor and in the way I finished it off.



The neckline in Glampyre's pattern sits quite low on the shoulders. Hayley has slim shoulders, and it looked like it might fall off, so I tightened things up by crocheting the neck edge. If she still loves the sweater when she's a little bigger, I can easily remove the crocheting for the more grown-up look.



Hayley is ten and thinks these buttons are totally cool. They are her favorite part of the sweater. If she changes her mind in a year or so, we can change those too. I also sewed them far over on the button band to make the sweater fit slimmer.



Details I love about this sweater: the top down shaping, and the details on neckline, button bands, and bottom band.



I really like the mirrored cables. They mirror on the back, on the fronts, and on the sleeves.



The sleeve cuff is supposed to match the bottom band, but Hayley doesn't like ribbing on her cuffs, so I did some rows of plain stockinette stitch instead.



All the Details:

Pattern: Glampyre's Bulky Cabled Sweater pattern in the smallest size
Yarn: Three full balls plus ten meters of Lion Brand Wool-Ease Chunky in Orchid (470 yds total). I sewed on the buttons with elann.com's Devon in Baton Rouge (which happens to be the same colour).
Buttons: from Wal-Mart
Needles used: 8mm circular for the main body/sleeves; 6mm for the bottom band; 6.5mm for the button bands

Measurements: Bust (28" would stretch to 30"); Under arm to bottom (12"); back of neck to bottom (17"); sleeve from underarm (14.5")

Oh yeah...and I received a nice Valentine in the mail today: Araucania Magallanes in colour 303. Mmmmm...more on this later. I'm still whooping it up over Hayley's sweater. She looks edible in it.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow you speed knitter, you! Hayley looks fabulous! I got my Araucania Magallanes, Uruguay DK, and some Cascade Pastaza from an ebay store. Happy Valentines to me :)

But nothing could compete with that smile on you little girl's face!

Grace said...

i love the sweater, she is adorable in it! Another job well done

CatBookMom said...

The sweater looks great, and I admire your DDs sense of color and fun. Makes me think of the sherbet/sorbet section at 31 Flavors, lol!

The Magallanes is gorgeous, even prettier than on Elann's website. Thanks for the eye candy.

Joan said...

What sweet 10 yr od wouldn't want a fabulous hot pink sweater? BTW there is no doubting your kids are yours! You have a house full of mini-me's.

Anonymous said...

The sweater is darling, as well as your daughter! I appreciate that you let us know about alterations that you made (like the crochet to tighten up the neckline), never know when that will come in handy.
Glad to see your Magallanes, boy that arrives quickly for you! Has it spoken to you and let you know what it wants to be?

Having a Knit Fitt said...

Hayley has a great style sense - the buttons look great. In fact, both she and the sweater look fabulous. Thanks for all the details.
Cate

Anonymous said...

Love the sweater. Glampyre has some great patterns. DD is so cute, she looks like a Mini Me version of you at that age (from your cute pic)

Kim said...

The sweater is darling on DD!

Anonymous said...

I agree with everyone. Super cute sweater! Thanks for posting the details. It's really helpful to hear other people's experience with patterns. I'd like to make one someday and will examine the sizing and check gauge more carefully instead of always just making the "small." Like what you did with the neckline. That is the one thing that I was concerned about--I'm not crazy about side necklines. Can't wait to hear your review of Fitted Knits!! kelly

Madge said...

Thanks for visiting my blog and commenting!

OMG, I love your DD in her hot pink sweater. Great job! And those buttons are fab, no doubt about it.

As a sister green harlot, I totally approve of your Magallanes color choice...whatcha gonna make with it?

Gail said...

Your daughter looks adorable in that sweater, Jayne! And I LOVE the buttons!

jayne said...

Thanks Gaile.

Hi Madge, thanks for stopping by.

Anonymous said...

Both the daughter and the sweater are so cute...wish I had a ten year old to knit for!
So that is the Woolease yarn? How does it hold up throught the washer/dryer?

jayne said...

Hi anonymous,

I have washed wool ease super chunky sweaters in the machine, but lay them out to dry. The dryer makes them pill/lint faster. I've heard from others that the yarn washes and wears well. I'll let you know when I wash DD's, but again, I won't be putting it into the dryer.