Tuesday, December 19, 2006
The kids assembled and decorated their gingerbread houses yesterday. This is one of their favorite things to do. Some years I bake the pieces, and other years we buy kits. These are from kits that came with a ton of candy.
This Christmas survey has been doing the rounds, so I thought I'd give it a go.
1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate? Egg Nog the way my FIL makes it -- in a blender with rum and freshly grated nutmeg on top!
2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? Santa presents unwrapped go into stockings (or under or near); presents from each other go wrapped under the tree.
3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? house: coloured. Tree: white only
4. Do you hang mistletoe? No way (I had a slobbery, kissy uncle when I was growing up. No damn way.)
5. When do you put your decorations up? Our cul-de-sac does tons of outside lights that need to be up by Dec. 1, but inside the house...somewhere around Dec. 15.
6.What is your favorite holiday dish? Christmas brunch: egg rouladen with bacon, onion, mushrooms and decadent sauce.
7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child: seeing my dad kiss my mom
8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? My older sister told me when I was seven. Then she showed me all my gifts hidden in my parents' closet.
9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? The kids do (usually pajamas)
10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree? White lights, and an eclectic variety of ornaments, including one I've had since I was three.
11. Snow! Love it or Dread it? I love it if I don't have to go anywhere.
12. Can you ice skate? All prairie girls can!
13.Do you remember your favorite gift? A plush ride-on horse the year I was three
14.What's the most important thing about the Holidays for you? Keeping things simple so as not to lose sight of the original meaning.
15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert? Shortbread
16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? I like decorating the tree, and doing the stockings
17.What tops your tree? A star
18. Which do you prefer giving or receiving? I like both, but I find giving easier.
19. What is your favorite Christmas song? God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen (Barenaked Ladies version)
20. Candy Canes? They look good on the tree.