Friday, December 22, 2006

Christmas Knitting is Done. Done. Done.

Yay! Now I can return to purely selfish knitting.

This is the hat I made for my dad in elann's Super Tweed (Cranberry Wine). It is the same Bernat freebie pattern that I used to knit Doug's hat last month.



I've made a second arm-pit bag using my contest pattern. This one is in fall colours and it's for my mom. The bag was fun to knit the second time around. All I had to do was follow the pattern this time. And this time, I spit-spliced all the ends. So much easier at the finishing stage.

Here it is all felted, blocked and drying:



Here it is pre-felting. I've taken several shots to show the hand-stitched detailing, and how the hardware goes on.






I knit the second bag exactly like the first one. You can find the FREE PATTERN (yippee!) at my December post "The Little Bag That Could."

The bag is knit in elann.com's Highland Wool (although any feltable worsted weight would do). I used the following colours:

Colour A: Oxblood (I got away with one ball exactly, but if you're worried, get two)
Colour B: Red Maple (one ball)
Colour C: Spiced Wine (half a ball)
Colour D: Allspice (half a ball)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That bag looks great!! I'm going to have to make one for myself. :)

LisaW. said...

Nice colors on the bag and great cranberry hat! Happy Holidays Jayne!

CatBookMom said...

The colors are great and the felting made it even better! I still marvel at your cleverness in finding the metal parts at thrift shops! Remind me where you found the Bernat hat pattern?

Joan said...

Calling your lovely bag an armpit bag is just WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!

Merry Christmas, Jayne!

smariek said...

I like this bag more than the other, the color combo is awesome!

Anonymous said...

Jayne, I just love that bag, and I can't wait to try it. If you NEED to change the name, how about calling it just the AP Bag? Anyway, if we don't touch base before then, have a very Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Alright, I've been thinking about it, and a snappy name for your bag could be the Axillary Bag. (Axillary - pertaining to the armpit).
It is what it is, this just fancies it up a bit!

jayne said...

Ooooohhh...axillary bag sounds very scientific!

I think I like AP bag. People can just wonder what that means. :)

I have plans to make a few more of these. They are fun to knit.