Tuesday, January 09, 2007

To The Unknown Sock Knitter



Thank you for the wonderful socks. They are so warm and wooly and cozy, and you did a lovely job of making them with their extra long cuffs and nice neat stitches. I didn't recognize the toe construction, and the heel is different than the way I do mine, but they fit perfectly over top a pair of thinner socks. They've been keeping my feet toasty all afternoon.

Okay, maybe you didn't have me in mind, exactly, as you knit these socks. Maybe they were for yourself, or meant to be a gift to someone else. I don't know how they ended up in the thrift store, barely worn, for 1.99, but I'm glad they did. I love wool socks, and I know how to wash 'em -- they'll go into the eucalan bath with all my other woollen hand-washables. Despite the 1.99, I know the time and effort and quality that went into making these, and they will be very happy here with me, and I with them.



Fun knitty thrift store finds: socks (yahoo!), cool gold coloured needles (I have a big jar of assorted needles), and funky pins (one of them is shaped like a pair of scissors).



I did it! I switched my blog over to the new format and lived to tell the tale. Now back to the sock I have on needles.

6 comments:

smariek said...

Love the scissors pin! Your socks look cozy.

Hey, how did you switch to the new Blogger? I keep getting the link to upgrade, do the login/password & accept terms thing, and then it takes me to a page that says I can't switch yet. Grrr...

So do you notice any differences with the new Blogger? Your blog looks the same as before...

Rosie Perera said...

Re the blog reno, the pictures for "Matt's Hat" and "Jayne's AP Bag" in the "MY FREE PATTERNS" section on the right look like they're squinched into one thin line each. I noticed in the HTML code you've got the attribute height="*" for each of those, wheras the height for the next picture down (DB Lara Cardigan, which shows up fine) is "100"; I'm sure that's the problem. Maybe you can figure out how to edit the HTML yourself and fix it and bypass the need to ask DH for help... ;-)

jayne said...

Hi Marie, haven't really explored the diffs yet, but some things are faster. The look is still the same and posting is mostly the same.

Rosie, not sure what you mean by "squinched into one line" -- they look normal on my screen. I did adjust the numbers in the template though. Maybe they look different on different systems. Doug was the one who suggested the *, but I had my suspicions about it and checked iPhotos for the proportions. Hmmm...maybe I was right.

Rosie Perera said...

That fixed it. I'm using Internet Explorer 6.0. Maybe it looked OK to you on a different browser, but I guess IE 6 doesn't like the *. You got the proportions right. I'll email you about issues with the image alignment, though.

Anonymous said...

Oh, those had to be a gift to someone that didn't appreciate it. There's no knitter who would put her handknit socks in the thrift shop. Your lucky break! They look so cozy.

LisaW. said...

total thrift store score! I did a little thrifty shopping myself the other day and got a fab cashmere turtleneck for 2.99...I Love Resale Therapy!